Identification for EL Services
Initial Student Identification: A certified EL teacher screens all students whose families answer "yes" to one or both questions on the Home Language Survey. Students will receive an individual language proficiency assessment within 30 days of their enrollment in the District. Students identified as limited English proficient based on the assessment scores are eligible to receive services from the TPI instructor. Parents are notified of this eligibility.
Continuing Student Enrollment: Students moving into the District who have previously qualified for TPI services are eligible to continue to participate in TPI services. Parents are notified.
Annual Assessment (ACCESS) Testing: Students in grades K-8 who are eligible for TPI services are annually evaluated for English proficiency in their home schools using a state-adopted assessment (ACCESS).
What is the ACCESS Test?
- A measure of how English Learners are progressing in their acquisition of English in speaking, listening, reading, and writing
- Results of the test are reported in June
- Students must receive a composite score of 4.8 in order to be exited from TPI services.
Students who do not meet the exit criteria continue with TPI services. Parents are notified of any change in a child’s eligibility.
Instruction for English Learners
All six schools in District 109 have TPI instruction. The District uses a pullout model for instruction that is delivered entirely in English. In addition to direct instruction, the TPI teacher provides resources and support to general and special education teachers. The TPI programs are:
- Preschool TPI is for students who are enrolled in the Early Learners program who meet the entrance criteria. Instruction in oral development, listening and literacy is based on student assessment and classroom performance.
- Elementary School TPI is for students in grades K-5 who meet the entrance criteria. The TPI teacher provides oral development, literacy, and content-area instruction based on student assessment and classroom performance. Student contact hours depend upon the results of the assessment and the needs of the student.
- Middle School TPI is for students in grades 6-8 who meet the entrance criteria. Students receive TPI instruction based on their assessment and classroom performance. The TPI teacher uses a sheltered English approach to support academic learning. The TPI teacher is a part of the grade level team who facilitates the development of an instructional plan, recommends second language acquisition techniques, and assists with the student’s transition to English fluency. The teacher also monitors students and their annual development of English language skills.
Transitional Program of Instruction (TPI)
Transitional Program of Instruction (TPI) is the official name for District 109’s English Learners services. Students eligible for TPI services receive special assistance from a TPI staff member as they learn how to speak, listen, read, and write in English. The District offers opportunities for English Learners (EL) to meet the same standards for academic achievement that all children are expected to attain.
EL Parent-School Communication
When a student is identified as eligible for TPI services, parents receive information about:
- The reasons for their child’s identification for TPI services
- Their child’s level of English proficiency
- The instructional methods used in TPI services
- How the TPI services will meet their child’s needs
- Specific exit criteria from TPI services
- How the TPI services will meet their child’s individualized education program (IEP) - if applicable
- Information on parent/guardian rights
Parents receive this information in the mail no later than 30 days after the beginning of the school year. Parents of students who move into the District after the school year begins will receive information about their child’s enrollment in TPI services in the mail within 14 days. Parents also receive regular updates on their child’s progress and are encouraged to provide input into the TPI services.